This course is aimed at students who need to get up to speed in C++. The course introduces Object-oriented concepts and shows how they are implemented in C++.
The course does not require awareness or familiarity with Object-oriented programming techniques, but programming experience of some kind is assumed.
Introduction to C++:
• Key features of C++: Defining variables:Formulating expressions and statements: Built-in data types: Console input/output.
Operators and types:
• Assignment: Compound Assignment: Increment and decrement operators: Const declarations: Type conversions.
Going Further with Data Types:
• Enumerations: Arrays: Using the standard vector class: Using the standard string class: Structures
Flow of Control:
• Decision making: if, if-else, and switch: Looping: for loops, while loops, and do-while loops
• Declaring, calling and defining functions: Function overloading: Defining default arguments: Pass-by-copy versus pass-byreference: Defining inline functions: Header files and source files.
• Overview of pointers: Defining pointers: Dereferencing pointers: Const pointers: Null pointers
Overview of Object Oriented Concepts:
• Classes and objects: Abstraction: Encapsulation: Inheritance and polymorphism
• Syntax of class declarations: Public and private members: Creating objects: Using new and delete: Structures vs. classes.
Implementing Class Functionality:
• Function overloading: Default arguments: Anonymous arguments: Ambiguities: Resolving scope conflicts: Using the this pointer.
Defining Constructors and Destructors:
• Overview of an objects lifetime: Defining constructors: Constructor chaining: Defining destructors.
• Overview of operator functions: Defining unary operators: Defining binary operators: Defining the operator: Defining input and output operators.
Defining Class-Wide Members:
• Overview: Static data members: Static member functions: Nested types: Friend classes
Creating Collections of Objects:
• The need for collections: Introduction to template classes: Using vector and list: Using iterators: Introduction to template functions: Using the Standard Template Library.
Copying and Conversions:
• The copy assignment operator: Copy constructors: Conversions to a class: Conversions from a class
• Recap of inheritance principles: Defining a subclass: Defining protected members: Scoping and initialisation: Multiple inheritance: Abstract base classes.
• Recap of polymorphism: Defining virtual functions: Virtual destructors: Pure virtual functions and abstract classes
Instructor: Andy Olsen
Andy is a freelance consultant and instructor based in the UK, working mostly in the City of London and Oxford. Andy has been working with .NET since the Beta 1 days and has extensive experience in many facets of .NET development including WCF, WPF, WF, ASP.NET MVC Web development, and mobile applications. Andy has designed and written many Microsoft Official Curriculum courses in the last decade, and has been engaged as author and technical reviewer with Apress on some of their biggest selling books.
Målgruppe for kurset
Developers who are new to object orientation and need to learn C++
• Experience using any contemporary language. No experience is required